Sunday, August 24, 2008

Recovery - kind of

This is Sophia shortly after waking up. She has her penguin the nurse let her have before the surgery. They were so good to her. Everyone was fabulous! We are so grateful. We stayed there for 2 more hours and they wanted her to drink something before they took her IV out. She wasn't/isn't a fan of the IV. She skips the popsicle she asked for and decides to have a couple of sips of water. Yeah! Her voice is kind of a raspy whisper. The doctor said it would probably change from what we are used to.



Part II of this mini series (jk).

We get home around 1:00pm. We are tired and hungry - at least Kevin and I are. :) She wants a drink - big surprise from our typical thirsty girl. She drinks like there is no tomorrow. Uh oh - too fast!! It comes back to visit all over her blanket and jammies. Fun, fun. We need to take it a little slower - she has no concept. She gets sick on various items 2 more times. Now it is time for the pain meds. They have only liquid - which she hates with a passion. I wish they had pills that tasted like candy that would dissolve in their mouths. I may just write to the pharmacutical company later. :) Right... I have that kind of time. Anyway - getting the pain meds in is a chore - she hates it, we bribe, plead, beg until it finally goes in. She falls asleep - she wakes up 2 hrs later - fever, tummy ache, screaming - I was told by the Physicans Assistant that she shouldn't scream - not that she can't but she really shouldn't scream because it could cause her throat to bleed. So, how do you get a 3 yr old not to scream - it is impossible I tell you. We give up and she finally calms down. This happens many times over as we are to give her pain meds ever 4 hrs. Needless to say by 12:00 midnight we kind of give up giving the pain meds and determine that this might be making things worse instead of better. We let her sleep -she falls asleep while we are with her - so we don't wake her. Who wakes a sleeping child??? No one in their right mind I tell you!
I have been in bed with her (she has a full size bed - so there is room) all night so I keep that up in case she needs me. She is up again at 4:00am in pain so we move to Tylenol. She takes it (again - finally)and falls asleep. Around 6:00am I am wasted so I go to our bed. Sophia is a sideways sleeper - so sleeping with her is no fun and very uncomfortable. I figure I can hear her pretty good and Kevin is home with me all day today too - no big deal. She wakes up later - I forget time. Yea - the Tylenol is good!

We speak to the Drs office and we talk to them about the meds - they suggest changing it to something else. But the taste is worse - ummm - No, thanks! We will stick with the Tylenol and so far so good. We do have to start giving her the antibiotic. This is another tsp of pink liquid. So it is a double fight 3 times a day at least. The routine goes like this:

"No, NO, NOOO!!" " I need my blanket" "No, NO, NOOOO!!" " I need my baby" " I need my drink" "NOOOOO!!" " I need to sit down on the sofa" "Don't count!!!" "Don't TOUCH ME!!" and finally after 5 minutes or more (usually more) - success!! I am practically committing to buying her a car to get her take her meds. (Not really but a huge bag of M & M's has escaped my lips.)
This is her hanging out on the sofa on Day 2 - still uncomfortable - some of her friends have stuck around - only because they can't make a run for it.




She manages a smile for the camera - little ham. :)



This last picture is from Saturday - yesterday. She seems like she is on the mend except for the nasty cough and the wicked nasty bad breath. Her voice is cute - it is like she has been sucking on helium. It is still scratchy and she sounds a little like one of the kids from South Park - Cartman maybe?? I forget those kids names. I am not a watcher soI just don't know.


Well we have another week to go before we go to the Dr again. Hopefully all the effort was worth it and she will be healed properly.

Current mantra - 3 more days of antibiotics - you can do it!!

0 comments: